Re: [SKOS] Proposed Resolution for ISSUE 26: RelationshipBetweenLabels

At 12:17 AM 2/28/2007, Antoine Isaac wrote:

>Hi Jon,
>

>>>My proposal is based on the assumption that the
>>>vast majority of thesauri will not have label
>>>relations, and therefore I wish not to have the
>>>burden of terms as classes on them. But I'm happy
>>>to be convinced my assumption is wrong.
>>

>>Given the use cases and motivation cited in [2], most of the
>>relationships defined in the motivation seem to represent
>>relationships between concepts rather than between labels, so in that
>>case I'm inclined to agree.
>
>I'm quite puzzled here. For me things like synonymy and abbreviation
>are clearly at the lexical or terminological level, not at the
>conceptual one. If I have "car" and "automobile" I would like have
>just one concept for them, and not two that I would declare
>equivalent afterwards....

True, but there are use cases where it makes sense for terms to be
classes, for example, if you want to have relations to those terms.
For example, if you wanted to relate "car" and "automobile" to
information such as author, date added, etc, and if you wanted to be
able to declare one of these the preferred term, it will be very
helpful for all terms to be classes (resources).