Re: ISSUE-27: Annotations on Labels

From: Daniel Rubin <rubin@med.stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:49:41 -0800
To: SWD WG <public-swd-wg@w3.org>,public-swd-wg@w3.org

At 08:52 AM 2/27/2007, SWD Issue Tracker wrote:

>ISSUE-27: Annotations on Labels
>
>http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/27
>
>Raised by: Guus Schreiber
>On product: SKOS
>
>Labels which are currently modeled as literals in SKOS, as well as possibly
>other literals, are valid subjects of discourse when modeling concept schemes,
>e.g. when recording the dates during which a particular label was in
>common use.
>However, in RDF, only resources may be subjects of statements, and
>literals may
>only be objects of statements. The question then arises, how are we
>to annotate
>(i.e. relate, as subject) labels and other literals to other entities.

Labels should be resources so that they can be the subjects of
statements. In general, anything that is a valid subject of discourse
and that may participate in a relationship to other subjects of
discourse should be resources (conceptually, such things are really
classes). If labels are modeled as resources, then we can annotate
labels to other entities.