Re: [SKOS] Proposed Resolution for ISSUE 26: RelationshipBetweenLabels

At 03:42 AM 2/27/2007, Guus Schreiber wrote:

>ISSUE-26 [1]
>RelationshipsBetweenLabels
>
>Considering that:
>- representing lexical labels as classes would lead to an
>undesirable complication of SKOS in straightforward use cases for
>the application of SKOS,

As I mentioned on the tcon today, I think that lexical labels should
be represented as classes, precisely because they need to be able to
participate in relations with other classes. I do not see doing this
an undesirable complication of SKOS--this is an issue of what
representation is needed in order to express the  necessary relations.

>- representing relationships between labels is required in some use
>cases, and therefore an escape mechanism should preferably be
>available for such thesauri,
>
>I propose the WG opts for an amended version of the second solution
>proposed in [2]:
>
>RESOLUTION
>
>The WG resolves to add the following classes and properties to the
>SKOS specification [3]:
>
>- the class skos:LabelRelation
>- the properties skos:labelRelationSubject and
>skos:labelRelationObject with domain LabelRelation and range rdfs:literal

To me, this approach adds undesirable complexity to SKOS.