Re: [SKOS]: [ISSUE 44] BroaderNarrowerSemantics

On Dec 13, 2007, at 10:49 AM, Reul, Q. H. wrote:

> For these vocabulary to be fully across multiple applications (as
> intended), I believe that semantic relations can't be either
> "transitive" or "non-transitive". Otherwise, the working group
> should give proper guidelines on how to deal with such occurrences.

My reading of Z39.19-2005  §8.3 is that  hierarchical relationships in
thesauri should always be transitive; §8.4 makes it clear that
associative relationships need not be (see e.g. §8.4.1.3).

I've been looking at this issue rather closely lately in the context
of the Library of Congress Subject Headings.   If BT  relationships in
the LCSH are treated as if they were, um, Broader Terms,  the
inferences one obtained are rather idiosyncratic.   If SKOS is altered
to make  broader less-transitive, it would certainly make converting
the LCSH to SKOS easier.  Unfortunately, it would also make the
resulting vocabulary much less useful.    It's not SKOS's fault; it's
the data.

  Incidentally, the problem is less to do with Cows as Mammals, and
more to do with Doorbells as Mammals...

Mammals → Primates → Hominids → Human beings → Ethnology →
Acculturation → Diffusion of innovations → Technology transfer →
New products →
Design, Industrial → Engineering design → Structural design →
Building → Building fittings → Door fittings → Doorbells

Simon

p.s.

   Intercontinental ballistic missiles are books

Library materials → Books → Illustration of books → Drawing →
Geometrical drawing → Design → Design, Industrial → Engineering
design → Materials →
Hazardous substances → Gases, Asphyxiating and poisonous → Gas →
Gas manufacture and works → Gas-machines → Gas producers →
Internal combustion engines → Jet propulsion → Rockets (Ordnance)
→ Guided missiles → Ballistic missiles → Intercontinental
ballistic missiles → Atlas (Missile)