use cases

From: Daniel Rubin <dlrubin@stanford.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 09:40:01 -0700
To: public-swd-wg@w3.org

Hello everyone,
I'd like to suggest kinds of vocabularies / use cases that I might be
able to contribute.

I am working with three different groups who are developing or
compiling vocabularies/ontologies:

(1) The Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) is a
professional organization representing the radiology imaging
community who is developing a terminology for the radiology field
called RadLex with the goal to standardize communication of imaging results.

(2) The Biomedical Informatics Research Network (BIRN) is an
NIH-funded research network who are developing a terminology called
BIRNLex for neurobiology with the goal to integrate diverse data in
their field.

(3) The National Center for Biomedical Ontology is creating a
repository of biomedical ontologies with the goal of creating a
publicly-accessible library of ontologies and tools for working with
them (visualization, indexing/search, alignment, quality assessment, etc).

The first two groups have interest in disseminating their
terminologies broadly for use in annotation projects and computer
applications; each of those could be separate use cases since they
have different needs/goals. NCBO could be an additional interesting
use case since there could be a use case developed to publish one or
all of the ontologies it hosts according to standards that would be
developed in this WG.