[MM] Caliph & Emir ..

From: Mathias Lux <mlux@know-center.at>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:02:25 +0200
To: <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>

Hi all,

I'm following the activities of the W3C with interest for several years
now and the image annotation WG looks like a good start in the right

For myself: I'm maintaining the image annotation and retrieval tools
Caliph & Emir (see http://www.semanticmetadata.net) for several years
now and I just wanted to provide a pointer to them. Although the backend
of annotation and retrieval is based on MPEG-7 (well I know some of you
have an MPEG background :) it might be of interest for the group.

Furthermore I'm attaching the CfP for our Special Track at the I-Know

                                    AST '06

                      6th of September 2006 Graz, Austria
        I-KNOW '06 Special Track on Advanced Semantic Technologies 2006

                                Call for Papers

The I-KNOW '06 Special Track on Advanced Semantic Technologies addresses
emerging field of semantic technologies in knowledge management and
retrieval. Original papers are solicited and will be reviewed by a board
international experts.

Topics include but are not limited to:

* Retrieval based on knowledge organisation systems (KOS)
* Ontology powered information systems
* Ontologies and knowledge representation in applied knowledge
* Probabilistics in knowledge representation
* Ontology learning and extraction
* Modeling and retrieval of semantic metadata
* Semantic analysis of structured and unstructured data
* Knowledge discovery in the Semantic Web
* Semantic agent technologies

Submissions might also address applications of semantic technologies in
such as knowledge management, competency management, workflow
management, search
engines, decision support, e-learning, healthcare, mobile and pervasive
computing or bioinformatics.

The area of semantic technologies combines a series of hot topics: The
Web, knowledge organization systems (KOS), agent technologies and
While the Semantic Web is based on a series of definitions and aims to
build a
new way of sharing and searching for information in the Internet,
organization systems and ontologies allow the formal definition of
knowledge. Agent technologies benefit from the explicit knowledge
provided in
the semantic web through processing it for completing their programmed

The areas of information retrieval and information systems find
facing new requirements: In information retrieval knowledge has to be
in the process of finding and ranking search results as well as in the
of clustering and classifying information. Information systems aim to
ontologies for enhancing their results by using a knowledge base.

Within the Special Track on Advanced Semantic Technologies we aim to
together researchers from different areas of semantic and knowledge
systems research to exchange experiences, present and talk about the
results of
their work and discuss hot topics.

Target Group

The topics mentioned above are addressed at researchers and developers
as well
as at innovative practitioners and providers in the fields of semantic
technologies. The special track will be held in English.

Submission Instructions and Procedure

Submissions should be handed in as full papers and should not exceed 8
Please use the I-KNOW style guides and submit your contribution in PDF
or MS
Word format. In case of problems or questions concerning the submission
papers , please contact the track chairs at ast@know-center.at.

Submissions, regardless of category, should include title, author(s),
keywords, body, and references. Submissions are to be made
electronically in PDF
(Adobe's Portable Document Format) or MS Word format. Submissions are
treated as
confidential communications during the review process, so submission
does not
constitute public disclosure of any ideas therein. Submissions should
contain no
information or materials that will be proprietary or confidential at the
time of
publication, and should cite no publications that are proprietary or
confidential at the time of publication.

Important Dates

    * 3rd April 2006 Submission of the full paper (8 pages)
    * 22nd May 2006 Notification of acceptance
    * 26th June 2006 Camera ready paper (8 pages)
    * 6th September 2006 AST 2006 special track

Accepted papers will be published within the I-KNOW'06 conference
proceedings in
cooperation with J.UKM and Springer Co. Pub. At least one author of an
paper must register for the I-KNOW conference before the deadline for
ready-copies of the papers (26 June 2006). Otherwise the paper will not

Conference Organization

The 6th International Conference on Knowledge Management (I-KNOW '06,
http://www.i-know.at) is organized by the Know-Center, Austria's
Center for knowledge management.

For further questions contact mlux@know-center.at.

Mathias Lux
Know-Center & Graz University of Technology, Austria
Institute for Knowledge Management (IWM)