Re: [WNET] URIs as primitive queries?

Dear all,

Thanks, Mark for addressing my concerns, and David for following up.

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 01:26, Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)
wrote:

> 1. Starting from a word (not a URI), look up information related to
> that word, which will give you URIs that are RDF nodes in triples.
> In this usage, a URI query like
>
>     http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wn/wordsense/noun/bank/
>
> may be handy as an easy query mechanism.

Yes, I think that would be quite interesting.

> However, I don't know
> whether applications would already know that they want only noun
> usages of "bank".  So perhaps something like
>
>     http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wn/wordsense/bank/
>
> would be better.  Also, the language may need to be indicated, so
> perhaps something like the following would work better:
>
>     http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wn/wordsense/en/bank/

I do not have a clear opinion here, but there are a few such issues that
needs discussing, I would imagine.

> 2. Starting from a particular URI that is an RDF node in a triple,
> look up related information.  In this case, I don't think the
> application would (or should) know to deconstruct the URI in order to
> do a broader query, so I don't think the above mechanism would be
> appropriate for this usage.  (But please correct me if you think I'm
> wrong.)

I agree. Expecting applications to infer this much might be in violation
of the URI opaqueness guideline of the Webarch.

> BTW, one thing I notice in looking over the WordNet document[1] that
> you mentioned: It seems a little odd that there are different lexical
> conventions used for forming the different kinds of URIs that are
> used. For example, the document shows the following NounSynset,
> WordSense and Word URIs (respectively):
>
> 	http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wn20/107909067-bank-n/
> 	http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wn20/bank-noun-1/
> 	http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wn20/word-bank/

I must admit that I didn't quite understand this either. Could this lead
to URI aliasing, i.e. several URIs for the same resource?

> i.e., "synset/bank-noun-1" acts as a unique synset identifier.  Would
> that work or did I misunderstand something?  It would be nice to get
> rid of the arbitrary synset ID numbers if they are not needed.

I agree. I didn't actually see them before I started digging into the wn
database files, it is rather hard for a user to relate to them

Best,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo