Re: comments: [MM] Prose Improvement

Karl Dubost wrote:
> Some paragraphs are also a bit too dense and maybe deserve a bit more
> time in rewriting and reorganization.
>
> Example:
>
> [[[
> 5. Lack of Syntactic and Semantic Interoperability
>
> Many different file formats and tools for image annotations are
> currently in use. Reusing metadata developed for one set of tools in
> another tool is often hindered by a lack of interoperability. First,
> different tools use different file formats, so tool A may not be able
> to read in the metadata provided by tool B (syntax-level
> interoperability). Solving the problem is relatively easy if the inner
> structure of both file formats are known by developing a conversion
> tool. Second, tool A may assign a different meaning to the same
> annotation as tool B does (semantic interoperability). Solving this
> problem is much harder, and a first step to provide a solution is to
> require that the vocabulary used be explicitly defined for both tools.
> ]]]

I changed the editor's draft.  Please feel free to comment. The text now
reads:

5. Lack of Syntactic and Semantic Interoperability

   Many different file formats and tools for image annotations are
currently in use. Reusing metadata created by another tool is often
hindered by a lack of interoperability. First, a tool may use a
different syntax for its file formats. As a consequence, other tools are
not able to read in the annotations produced by this tool. Second, a
particular tool may assign a different meaning (semantics) to the same
annotation. In this situation, the tool may be able to read annotations
from other tools, but will fail to process them in the way originally
intended.
    Both problems can be solved by using Semantic Web technology. First,
the Semantic Web provides developers with means to explicitly specify
the syntax and semantics of their metadata. Second, it allows tool
developers to make explicit how their terminology relates to that of
other tools. The document will provide examples of both cases.

Jacco