RE: [MM] Contribution to the 1st deliverable

Dear all,

Unfortunately I can't send emails to the public-swbp-wg discussion list
since DSTC membership of W3C is expiring shortly and Uni. of Qld membership
may take a few months. But I've tried to include the key people in this
email.

(Sorry I didn't attend last nights phone conference - I still have jetlag
from my last trip to Europe and 10pm is way past my bedtime) - but I do have
a few comments on the 1st deliverable document.

- I think it would be great to have one use case that involves medical or
scientific images. Medical images in particular are a very significant
category that require domain-specific annotations e.g., mammography images?
Would you like me to provide a use case for this kind of collection?

I've responded to Nikolaos' email about categorization of image annotation
tools. A few other suggestions:

7) Collaborative or individual
8) Granularity - file-based or segment-based (and sub-categories of types of
segmentation)
9) Threaded or unthreaded
10) Access controlled or open access

Also in the tools section you may want to reference:

1) Vannotea - a jabber-based system for real-time collaborative indexing,
annotation and discussion of high quality (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, JPEG,
TIFF, JPEG-2000) images and video.
http://metadata.net/filmed/ <http://metadata.net/filmed/>

2) Rules-By-Example - a graphical user interface that uses examples to
interactively define rules for inferring high level semantic descriptions of
image regions from combinations of low-level automatically extracted
features
http://maenad.dstc.edu.au/papers/2004/iswc2004-rbe.pdf
<http://maenad.dstc.edu.au/papers/2004/iswc2004-rbe.pdf>

Kind regards