Re: Vocabulary issues : relations, relationships, properties, patterns ... RE: [OEP] Draft of a note on n-ary relations

Bernard

Thanks for raising this.  I think most English speakers get a bit sloppy, and I fear we did in the document.
In common usage, the words "relation" and "relationship" are almost interchangeable, so we barely notice which we are using.

Looking it up, my OED talks mostly about kinship so is unhelpful.  The Collins Cobuild Dictionary, which is corpus based, isn't a good source for technical things but the analogies would support

    relation = class of relationships = (interpretation of) OWL property
    relationship = instance of relation = (interpretation of) OWL fact

In the paper, however, "relationship" first appears under "Representation pattern" and actually seems to be being used as a synonym for this meaning or perhaps for "configuration or relationships" rather than in the technical meaning above. I think this is a genuine ambiguity of use.

However, we then lapse into using "relationship", almost certainly incorrectly, for "relation", probably by inertia, in some of the subsequent paragraphs before going back to "relation".    I think this probably just needs subediting and apologies for the confusion.

However, drafting details aside, it would be useful to see if there is a consensus on the equivalences above.
I think they are how Pat's definition translate in terms of OWL.  If so, then we could all be more careful in our drafting.  If not, we need to be aware of the potential confusions.

Regards

Alan

--
Alan L Rector