[WNET, PORT, OEP] Synset's, Classes and multiple languages

From: McBride, Brian <brian.mcbride@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 09:34:06 +0100
To: Aldo Gangemi <a.gangemi@istc.cnr.it>
Cc: SWBPD list <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>

Thinking a little more about this as I cycled to work this morning, it
occurred to me that one test to apply to a design for a wordnet mapping is
mergability with other WordNet's, and other ontologies, which leads to a
specific test case (I love test cases).

What happens if we merged say a French and English WordNet?

If we have the synset "dog" sameClassAs the class of dogs, and the synset
"chien" sameClassAs the class of dogs, then we have synset "dog" sameClassAs
synset "chien".  My  knowledge of Owl is too weak :(  Does that lead to the
conclusion that "chien" and "dog" are members of the same synset?  Would
that be a problem for anyone?

If they are synonyms, we'd need to encode the language somewhere, so that
software can easily restrict the language of the synoyms it selects.

I guess I'm wondering if it would make sense to model the synsets for the
same concept in different languages as different resources.

Brian