Re: [comment] RE: Lists of Values [OEP}

"Dickinson, Ian J" wrote:

> Hello Alan,
> A few quick comments. First, I think the title of your note is slightly
> misleading.  You are talking about design patterns for properties whose
> domain values are drawn from a finite enumeration.  That's an important
> design choice, for sure.  On the Jena support list, however, we see a number
> of requests for assistance from people who want to model multi-valued
> properties whose value order is preserved in the model.  A natural term for
> this is "list of values", and a common approach (that's outside OWL-DL) is
> to sub-class rdf:List.

I am happy to change the name.  I had used "List of values" to avoid arguments over "Value Partitions" vs "Value Types".  "Values" seemed to broad. What about "Enumerated values"?  It is slightly awkward but at least correct.

> Other comments from a very quick skim:
>
> * the HTML title of your document doesn't match the title in the text
> ("defining N-ary relations on the semantic web" vs "representing lists of
> values in owl")

Oops - easy to fix. I took it from a Natash's as a template  and failed to check that

> * the disjointness axiom in Medium_health_value references the non-class
> Good_healthrt_value
>
> * the union in Health_value references the non-class Good_health

Will check.  The problem with updating examples.

> * I thought the "general issue" section was over-brief.  In particular,
> after just one sentence of describing the issue you jump to what some
> software engineers call "solution language" - describing the solution rather
> than the problem.  For example, in the discussion of the two presented
> patterns you raise the question of whether the values can be later further
> sub-divided.  But that's not a requirement that gets mentioned in the
> general issue section, so why answer a question you haven't asked?
>
> * there are a number of minor typographical errors, but I assume you will do
> a proper editing review prior to publication.

I'd  be grateful for somebody to do a final check after I've fixed the above.  I'm slightly dyslexic and outside of Word (and often in it) there is no hope of my producing completely clean material on my own. I just cannot do it.

--
Alan L Rector
Professor of Medical Informatics