Re: comment on N-ary relations draft

I would strongly suggest that the note be changed to stress that the
driving distinction between the two representation patterns is
modelling-related and not logical.  I also suggest that that the note
mentions that there is no real logical difference between the two patterns,
and that OWL makes no distinction between the two patterns at all, at least
as they are presented in the note.

As well, I think that you should not use "representation pattern", as it
gives the wrong impression.  If the driving difference is some modelling
concern, and not logical structure, then it would be better to call the two
patterns "modelling patterns" instead.

The note also sabotages the point that Guss makes below about a naming
difference between the two patterns, as it names the relationship class and
the relationship instances in both patterns.  If this is the driving
difference, or even just a substantive difference, then it is exceedingly
strange that the note not only is very silent on the difference, mentioning
the issue at all only obliquely and only near its end, but actually
supresses it, using meaningful names for both patterns.  This supression is
so unusual so as to make me wonder whether the distinction is actually a
valid modelling distinction at all.  I, personally, see effectively no
modelling difference between the two patterns.  In particular, I see no
difference between the two patterns with regards to either the necessity or
suitability of naming any of the constructs they require.

As far as so-called "wizards" for promoting from simple properties go, I
don't see that there is any reason why either pattern should be preferred.
Similarly, if there is a wholesale need to promote simple properties then I
don't see any advantage to moving to pattern 1 over pattern 2.  In fact, if
uniformity is what is wanted, then why not just stick with only one
pattern?  Surely that would prevent confusion over the difference!  Because
neither RDF/RDFS nor OWL really distinguish between the two patterns, why
should modellers be presented with the choice?

Finally, if the notions from Guarino and Welty's work are important here,
then surely the notions should be referenced, their relevance argued, and
their differential applicability to the patterns demonstrated.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research

[The contents of the previous emails have been rearranged to better show
the progression of the thread.]