Re: [OEP] Units and Measures

i brought up the issue of where we stood with respect to the units and
measures conversation on today's telecon.
I brought it up because i thought I had read in some irc logs a while
ago that there was a request for us to provide a best practices note on
units and measures ontologies.  Because I had missed a few telecons I
was not sure where we were with that  and i wanted to make sure that we
understood that doing a good job on a survey of ontologies could be a
lot of work.

There was some belief in today's telecon that guus may have offered to
look at a particular units and measures proposal and provide some
comments.  (There is a caveat to this statement - we did not verify in
real time exactly what guus had offered to do so we should check in with
guus to find out what actually was agreed upon.)

I also think that before we took on a conversion use for the semantic
web, it would be useful to identify a prototypical use case that would
be used to refer to to help make any modeling decisions.

Gruber's ontology set on ontolingua does seem to have had a fair amount
of visibility and reuse so it is a strong starting candidate.
i do not know the answer to evan's question of work to add precision to
it though.

Deborah

--
 Deborah L. McGuinness
 Associate Director Knowledge Systems Laboratory