Re: [ALL, OEP] Relationship between OWL and other ontology modelling

concerning the notion of qualified cardinalities and role hierachies and
restrictions (whether they are local with value restrictions or global
with range restrictions),

it is true that you can end up modeling information concerning qualified
cardinalities using role hierarchies, restrictions, and regular
cardinality restrictions, but it does get ugly.

for example, consider the case where i want to have at least 2 siblings
who are doctors on some new class.
i can create a role  hasSibling and create a subrole of hasSibling (on
which i will put a value or range restriction).
call the subrole hasSiblingDoc.
then in my newclass, i can have a DOCTOR value restriction on
hasSiblingDoc   (or i could have made the global range restriction on
hasSiblingDoc be DOCTOR)
and i can put an atmost 2 cardinality restriction on hasSiblingDoc on
the newclass.

I could similarly do the same kind of modeling for at least 2 siblings
who are doctors on another newclass2

The ugliness arises because i have to make the new subroles with the new
either local value restrictions or global range restrictions.

also, from a computational perspective - the reasoner still has to do
the right counting work at the superrole.
for example, if i had another subrole called hasSiblingLawyer  and had
another newclass - newclass3  that had at least 2 hasSiblingLawyer and
also had atleast 2 hasSiblingDoctor,
then a reasoner should be able to determine some cardinality restriction
information on the hasSibling property of newclass3.  clearly it is 2
but if one knows anything about the disjointness of the value
restrictions or range restrictions  (for example, if i knew that doctor
and lawyer were disjoint)  then i could determine that the atleast
restriction was 4.
also, if i know something about uniqueness of known fillers or if i know
some particular filler is NOT an instance of the class in the range
restriction, then i can also increase the min cardinality.

for example, if i know that Joe is a filler of the property
hasSiblingDoctor  and I know that Joe is NOT a lawyer, then I know that
Joe must be distinct from the 2 fillers of the hasSiblingLawyer property
and I know that the minimum cardinality of hasSibling on newClass3 must
be at least 3.

deborah

--
 Deborah L. McGuinness
 Associate Director Knowledge Systems Laboratory