RE: [UNITS, OEP] FAQ : Constraints on data values range

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:15:04 +0200
To: <benoit.doumas@free.fr>, <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>

> formal model. I recommend a paper "Web Ontology Reasoning with
> Datatype Groups"
> form J. Pan and I. Horrocks.
> I think this is a problem that has to be explain in a FAQ.

I think that we currently have, in OWL, particularly OWL DL, and
unnecessarily restrictive langauge for this problem. However, I am not clear
that enough industrial class apps are up with what datatype support there is
already in OWL, so I am in no hurry to move the goal posts towards
expressivity.

Some of Pan and Horrocks' work goes well beyond OWL expressivity and looks
really useful for the units stuff amongst others.

I remain doubtful as to the scientific validity of the current exclusion of
inverse functional datatype properties (IFDP) in OWL DL, but didn't make a
song and dance about it at the appropriate time, and won't now either. As
far as I remember it is a complexity argument rather than a decidability
argument, and it seems to me that OWL DL + IFDP is of the same complexity as
OWL DL (maybe I have misunderstood; I've read the papers but couldn't
reconstruct them).

Jeremy