Re: [OEP] "Classes as values" first draft

At 9:27 -0700 4/14/04, Natasha Noy wrote:
>Folks,
>
>At the last telecon, I took an action to produce a draft note on
>dealing with the issue of classes as property values. My first pass
>at it is at
>
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2004Apr/att-0061/ClassesAsValues.html
>
>This is a strawman, so please feel free to and do poke holes in it!
>I think the goal here is really two-fold: (1) to give some
>suggestions on how to deal with  the specific issue (classes as
>values) and (2) to figure out what the general format and tone of
>such notes and patterns should be. (The second one being arguably
>more important at this point)
>
>I have shamelessly lifted most of the ideas from the discussion on
>the mailing list a couple of weeks ago. So, thanks to everyone who
>participated in that discussion. I would also like to thank Oscar
>for his comments on an earlier draft.
>
>Natasha

I must admit that up until I saw this document, I was seriously
thinking of suggesting that OEP was a bad idea and that we should not
have the task force.   Natasha's document shows me I was wrong, that
it may be possible for us to create some useful information for
Semantic Web users based on our experiences in our non-semantic web
-- if all of the things written up are done as carefully,
thoughtfully, and comprehensively as this - and are balanced in
presenting the solutions as this is - then maybe there's hope.
Natasha -- great job!
  -JH

--
Professor James Hendler			  http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler
Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  240-277-3388 (Cell)