Re: [Fwd: consensus and ownership]

From: Thomas B. Passin <tpassin@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:47:08 -0400
To: public-sw-meaning@w3.org

Graham Klyne wrote:

> This idea of meaning being based in consensus also appears in the work
> by Quine that I mentioned the other week [1].
>
> A possible difference in position would be that you talk about the
> meaning of a URI, where Quine's analysis suggest that it's not the
> individual terms but complete statements that have meaning.  (I think
> that's a point that Pat has been trying to press, too.)

I think that individual terms _do_ have meaning for people.  For
example, the word "gravity" certainly has meaning for me.  It may well
be that my sense of its meaning comes mainly from a large collection of
statments that I have heard or uttered in the past - along with personal
experience - but nevertheless the term itself carries meaning for me.

Cheers,

Tom P