Re: SVG Text elements within glyphs

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Sairus Patel <sppatel@adobe.com> wrote:

>  My point was that *security-wise*, I don’t see a difference between
> guarding against executing an external font file referenced by a URL vs
> guarding against executing an external font file referenced by a font
> family name. In either case, executing the external file could potentially
> do something bad. (We’ve seen plenty of crashers related to bad fonts, and
> it’s possible for a bad font to be maliciously injected into the OS.)

The difference is very large. Sure, it's *possible* for a bad font to be
maliciously injected locally, but that requires the use of a quite severe
exploit already. With such an exploit the attacker might be able to just
replace the browser with something less secure :-).

In practice, Firefox treats local fonts much more leniently than downloaded
fonts.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w