Re: [OpenType] Update on color/animation in OT via SVG; new W3C Community Group

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 23:12:34 +1100
To: Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>
CC: Sairus Patel <sppatel@adobe.com>, "public-svgopentype@w3.org" <public-svgopentype@w3.org>
On 24/11/11 7:44 AM, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> Now we have a situation where the SVG has to be rendered INTO THE MIDDLE
> OF some other context, with all of its state information (ie. Position,
> color, alpha/opacity, etc.) applied to the result of the SVG render (since
> it can't all be passed in, as SVG doesn't necessary implement all the same
> features, or the same feature in the same exact manner).

To me, worrying about how text rendered with a particular SVG glyph
composites into whereever it is being used seems out of scope for this
specification.  Shouldn't that just be up to the particular application
(i.e., up to the CSS/SVG specs that might use these fonts, or up to the
PDF spec to handle if being used in a PDF document)?

> It may also be worth looking at Postscript/PDF's Type 3 font model (which
> was the original impetus for SVG fonts after all) which provides for TWO
> DIFFERENT types of glyphs - one which is inherits a set of attributes from
> the parent (such as color) and one which does not.  As I don't completely
> understand all the use cases for this work, I can't say if it's necessary
> - though it's starting to sound it more and more҆

I agree, it seems like it's worth looking at these use cases.