Re: reminder: agenda requests for 20 November 2014 SVG WG telcon

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 13:28:12 +1100
To: "Little, Chris" <chris.little@metoffice.gov.uk>
CC: "public-svg-wg@w3.org" <public-svg-wg@w3.org>
Hi Chris,

Firstly, welcome to the group!

Little, Chris wrote:
> 1. Apologies again for non-attendance tomorrow - I will be travelling
> home on a train.

No problem.

> 2. I was interested in the earlier discussion, that I missed, about
> fonts. Our experience in meteorology and using SVG to present complex
> weather plots, with many proprietary (non-Unicode, but
> internationally standardised, see
> https://github.com/OGCMetOceanDWG/WorldWeatherSymbols ) is that when
> conventional text is involved, such as the digits 0-9, rendering
> speed is drastically reduced if we used SVG Text, so implementers
> routinely 'pre-render' them as polylines or polygons, which rather
> undermines the searchable intent of SVG.
>
> We naively think that there ought to be an equivalent of the "GKS
> TextPrecision: string" for those old enough to remember. Or maybe we
> have not found the 'really fast text' switch.
>
> Perhaps this could be added to any future discussion, or someone
> could enlighten this newbie.

That's unfortunate if SVG text rendering is slow. This is a quality of
implementation issue; I encourage you to file bugs on the browsers with
test cases that demonstrate poor text rendering performance.

There is a hint you can use, text-rendering="optimizeSpeed", but I doubt
that it would actually cause text to be rendered faster in
implementations these days. I know that in Firefox it has no effect.

Cameron