RE: reminder: agenda requests for 20 November 2014 SVG WG telcon

Dear All,

1. Apologies again for non-attendance tomorrow - I will be travelling home on a train.

2. I was interested in the earlier discussion, that I missed, about fonts. Our experience in meteorology and using SVG to present complex weather plots, with many proprietary (non-Unicode, but internationally standardised, see https://github.com/OGCMetOceanDWG/WorldWeatherSymbols ) is that when conventional text is involved, such as the digits 0-9, rendering speed is drastically reduced if we used SVG Text, so implementers routinely 'pre-render' them as polylines or polygons, which rather undermines the searchable intent of SVG.

We naively think that there ought to be an equivalent of the "GKS TextPrecision: string" for those old enough to remember. Or maybe we have not found the 'really fast text' switch.

Perhaps this could be added to any future discussion, or someone could enlighten this newbie.

TIA, Chris

Chris Little
Co-Chair, OGC Meteorology & Oceanography Domain Working Group

IT Fellow - Operational Infrastructures
Met Office  FitzRoy Road  Exeter  Devon  EX1 3PB  United Kingdom
Tel: +44(0)1392 886278  Fax: +44(0)1392 885681  Mobile: +44(0)7753 880514
E-mail: chris.little@metoffice.gov.uk  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk

I am normally at work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday each week