Re: Use of SVG to describe EPUB region

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 15:39:35 +1100
To: FUJISAWA Jun <fujisawa.jun@canon.co.jp>
CC: "public-svg-wg@w3.org" <public-svg-wg@w3.org>
On 5/02/13 4:26 PM, FUJISAWA Jun wrote:
> I've been involved in IDPF EPUB standardization for some time, and I'd
> like to hear your feedback on the possible use of SVG to describe EPUB
> region information.
>
> <http://epub-revision.googlecode.com/files/FF_AHL_RegionRepresentation.pdf>
>
> This is related to EPUB Advanced/Hybrid Layouts specifications. IDPF had
> the first F2F meeting on this specification last month. At the meeting,
> the WG decided to create five documents including "Regions of Interest
> (ROI)" and "Use SVG for regions for ROI" during the first half of this
> year.

My first thought is that in css3-exclusions, there are some pre-defined
shape values that can be used as well as being able to reference SVG
elements that define a shape:

   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-exclusions/#shapes

Would it be better to align with this rather than only supporting SVG
element references?