Re: Agenda, 16 February 2012 SVG WG telcon

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:49:37 +0100
To: "Erik Dahlstrom" <ed@opera.com>
CC: public-svg-wg@w3.org
On Thursday, February 16, 2012, 10:14:36 AM, Erik wrote:

ED> Missed one thing:

ED> * color-interpolation-filters
ED>
ED> http://www.w3.org/mid/CAGN7qDDh_yJX_EzWNtuvW3N_eywgvB3MioMn6FoP_p8kHTwh-A@mail.gmail.com

Are we discussing:

a) how to specify the longhand, element-based equivalent to each of the css shorthand properties (which will include the value of the color-interpolation-filters property,

or

b) whether to remove color-interpolation-filters and color-interpolation, thus breaking backwards compatibility and destroying improvements in color management in SVG2, because of flawed understanding of basic concepts like gamma, chromaticity, and so forth?

If a) then I am all in favour of providing the longhand equivalents and would like to see tests that put the longhand and shorthand side by side so we can check that implementors are doing the right thing.

If b) and we are seriously considering legislating the dumb approach to RGB, then I have strong objections to such a wrong-headed approach.

I can provide links to further reading if people need to brush up on basic concepts.