Re: SVG at Test The Web Forward

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:32:41 +1000
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
CC: SVG WG <public-svg-wg@w3.org>
Doug Schepers:
> I just had a call with Peter Linss and Chris Lilley about the test
> framework and what my presentation should feature.

Did you discover what work needs to be done to get Shepherd working with
our repository?  I can spend some time this coming week to get that up
and running if I know what needs to be done.

> We agreed that since most people aren't as familiar with SVG as with
> CSS, the most likely tests we will get them to contribute are those that
> are shared between SVG and CSS, such as the FX TF deliverables
> (specifically Filters, Transforms, and Compositing, and maybe Animation
> and Transitions), and CSS features as applied to SVG rather than HTML
> (e.g. opacity and HSLA, and so on).

That sounds fair enough.  I wonder which repository these tests should
live in?  If not the svg2-tests repo, then perhaps it is not as
important for us to have that up and running for the event.  (I don't
know if the FXTF has a dedicated test suite repo.)

> We thought that the best outcome might be for us to provide 5-10 good
> examples of tests we want, for use as templates, and ask them to help
> iterate on those, along the lines of a set of features they could test.
>   So, maybe we make 2-3 good Filters examples, and ask them to extend
> those to other filter types, or we make a scale transform test, and
> suggest that they do similar ones for translate, rotate, skew, and so
> on, or variations on different values.

Great idea!

> Do people like this approach? If so, what tests should I use as
> templates, and what variations should I suggest?

I guess the problem is that we have very few tests currently in the
svg2-tests repository to copy from, and that that is because we don't
have Shepherd running yet. :)