Re: SVG at Test The Web Forward

On Jun 9, 2012, at 7:10 PM, <tavmjong@free.fr> <tavmjong@free.fr> wrote:

> Hi Doug and WG,
>
> I have some tests in my area of the HG repository that might serve as examples. They compare CSS styling vs. using attributes for CSS3 Transforms. I think these tests are good examples as they will work in automated testing yet when viewed manually indicate what is being tested and show the expected results. The tests can be seen at:
>
> http://tavmjong.free.fr/SVG/svg2-tests/contributors/tavmjong/incoming/
>
> The first three tests are ones that I wrote, The fourth is one of the CSS tests from Adobe that I converted from an SVG in HTML test to a standalone SVG test. I prefer my tests to the Adobe tests as it is not clear from just looking at the Adobe test what it is testing. (BTW, I have a script that converts the hundreds of Adobe SVG in HTML tests to stand-alone SVG tests. I will try get them uploaded in the next few days.)
If these tests are explicitly testing a difference between CSS styling and presentation attribute styling, then they are great. Otherwise they are violating one of the main rules on ref testing. Don't test a feature with the same feature. For instance if transforms are not supported at all, all your tests would still pass. Same if just a certain transformation function is not supported, the tests would still pass - a false positive. That should be avoided as much as possible.

Like I said, when your tests are testing the difference between CSS styling and presentation attribute they are still fine. But there are other ways to prove that without the using transforms on the ref file. We have some examples on the CSS test suite.

Greetings,
Dirk