Re: List of features from SVG Tiny 1.2 not in SVG 1.1

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Vincent Hardy <vhardy@adobe.com> wrote:
> On 8/5/11 10:24 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 4:08 AM, Cyril Concolato
>><cyril.concolato@telecom-paristech.fr> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Following up on ACTION-3100, I've set up a page describing the features
>>>that
>>> are in SVG Tiny 1.2 but not in SVG 1.1 2nd Ed. The page is here:
>>> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/SVG_Tiny_1.2_feature_backport
>>> I may have missed some or made mistakes. Please review it and
>>>comment/modify
>>> the page.
>>> This closes the action.
>>
>>Small question related to this.
>>
>>Given that colors are already paint servers in SVG, what's the purpose
>>of <solidColor>?
>
> Originally, <solidColor> was introduced because solid colors where the
> only type of paint server that could only used by value and not by
> reference. A gradient could be shared by multiple elements, not a solid
> color.

Ah, that makes sense.  Thanks!

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
> On 6/08/11 5:02 PM, Tavmjong Bah wrote:
>> This would be good to add to SVG 2.0. Inkscape is now using (abusing?)
>> 1-stop gradients for this purpose.
>
> Should SVG Parameters or CSS Variables be used instead?

Yes, Params/Vars (which should be merged) would also solve this
use-case, since you're just naming a color.  (I do sorta like the
completeness afforded by having every paint server representable by an
element, though.)

~TJ