Re: ISSUE-2389 (map color to fill): Consider allowing CSS 'color' property to apply to 'fill' [SVG 2]

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 14:52:34 +0100
To: SVG Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
CC: public-svg-wg@w3.org
On Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 12:16:52 AM, SVG wrote:

SWGIT> ISSUE-2389 (map color to fill): Consider allowing CSS 'color'
SWGIT> property to apply to 'fill' [SVG 2]

SWGIT> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2389

SWGIT> Raised by: Doug Schepers
SWGIT> On product: SVG 2

SWGIT> Some authors coming from the CSS+HTML world are used to using
SWGIT> 'color' rather than 'fill', so we might consider what 'color'
SWGIT> means in the SVG context (along with other CSS properties).

We already do, and always have, ever since SVG 1.0. The value of the color property can be used in fill, stroke, gradient stops, or anywhere else that takes a colour value, by using the currentColor keyword.

It would be incorrect to assume that it always means 'fill'. When creating line drawings for example one would typically want the stroke, not the fill, to match the 'color' value.

This seems like a non-issue to me.