Re: ISSUE-2350 (unknown element fallback): Specify that unknown elements are treated as <g> elements for the purpose of rendering [SVG 2.0]

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 04:03:36 -0400
To: Erik Dahlstrom <ed@opera.com>
CC: SVG Working Group WG <public-svg-wg@w3.org>
Hi, Erik-

Erik Dahlstrom wrote (on 7/9/10 5:00 AM):

> You are aware that this goes against what is specified in SVG Tiny 1.2
> [1]? Your fallback content wouldn't be rendered by SVG Tiny 1.2
> compliant engines.

Ah, that's too bad.  Do you recall the rationale for doing it that way?
  If it's just an arbitrary decision, then maybe we could reopen that?
I do think that this is a potentially very useful behavior.

> In short, I disagree with the proposal to render child elements of
> unknown elements. However I wouldn't mind if we adopted the wording in
> [1] to SVG 1.1F2 to further clarify handling of unknown
> attributes/elements.

We should certainly clarify one way or the other.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs