Re: More on circular references

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:31:37 -0400
To: alexander.adam@examotion.com
CC: 'Lee Martineau' <lee.martineau@quickoffice.com>, public-svg-wg@w3.org
Hi, Alexander-

Alexander Adam wrote (on 3/19/09 8:13 AM):

> Note: You might also want to allow circular references and provide a certain
> nesting level in the spec. In renesis, we've made pretty good experience in
> restricting to level to 8 levels. However, allowing such a thing allows to
> produce some really interesting effects without the hassles to produce too
> much svg code to reach the same.

Yes, thanks for this feedback.  We took Renesis's handling of circular
reference into account when we clarified the spec.  I agree that some
interesting effects can be done with circular references, though I
wouldn't rely on them for production content.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs