Re: Font download in SVGPrint document...

From: Alex Danilo <alex@research.canon.com.au>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 19:18:50 +1100
To: Roland Mainz <roland.mainz@informatik.med.uni-giessen.de>
Cc: public-svg-print@w3.org

Hi Roland,

>I wasn't aware that there is a spec for font outlines described via SVG.
>Sounds nice - but it seems to have to write another converter
>(TTF/OTF/PS Type1/BDF/PCF) --> SVG-Font... ;-(
>
>Two questions:
>- Is there already such a converter available somewhere ?

I believe there is a converter for TrueType somewhere, I can't remember
where though.

>- IS there any utility which supports SVG fonts (to test the output of
>my converter code) ?

The Adobe & Corel SVG plugins & Batik's Squiggle viewer will support
display of SVG fonts.

>It seems that the "SVG fonts" option is the way which should be used for
>SVGPrint, otherwise the neccesary support code within devices such as
>printers would become much larger just to support another bunch of font
>formats (and the SVGPrint spec would need to specify a standard for
>downloading such "alien" (e.g. non-XML syntax based) font formats).

Yes, also SVG fonts allow for exactly reproducable results on all
implementations and have good support for Unicode as well.

Alex