W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-svg-ig@w3.org > July to September 2008

minutes: SVG IG Call 2008-09-25 (draft)

From: Gregory J. Rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:07:08 +0100
To: public-svg-ig@w3.org
Message-Id: <20080925163846.M50370@hicom.net>

aloha!

minutes from the 25 September 2008 SVG Interest Group Teleconference
are available as hypertext at:

http://www.w3.org/2008/09/25-svgig-minutes.html

and as an IRC log at:

http://www.w3.org/2008/09/25-svgig-irc

and as plain text following my signature -- any mis-attributions, 
corrections, errors, clarifications, and the like should be logged 
by replying-to this post on-list

the following action items were assigned at today's call:

   ACTION 1: Gregory - start simple wiki page for IG and W3C
   resources [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2008/09/25-svgig-minutes.html#action01]

   ACTION 2: Robert Russell to move page to one of his domains on
   1-and-1 [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2008/09/25-svgig-minutes.html#action05]

thank you, and apologies for mis-attributions, gregory.

     _________________________________________________________________

                                   - DRAFT -

                       SVG Interest Group Teleconference

25 Sep 2008

Agenda
[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-ig/2008JulSep/0095.html]

   See also: IRC log
   [http://www.w3.org/2008/09/25-svgig-irc]


Attendees

   Present
          Jeff_Schiller, Shepazu, Gregory_Rosmaita, Andreas_Neumann,
          Manuel, Rob_Russell, anthony, Dave_Porter

   Regrets
          Christophe_Strobbe, Donald_Dogherty

   Chair
          Jeff_Schiller

   Scribe
          Gregory_Rosmaita

Contents

     * Topics
         1. Process Page for IG Wiki for new members to get them
            acclimatized; short page
         2. Community
         3. Permanent Home for Site
         4. ACTION ITEM REVIEW
         5. SVG Open 2009
     * Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________________



   <trackbot> Date: 25 September 2008

   <Manuel> i'm in. (+49...)

   <shepazu> scribeNick: shepazu

   <JeffSchiller>
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-ig/2008JulSep/0095.html

   (introductions)

   GR: I'm an old hand at W3C, doing ARIA, HTML, and other stuff (blind,
   use AT)

   <JeffSchiller> GR: Open Accessibility (a11y.org) which merged with
   Linux Foundation

   <oedipus> scribe: Gregory_Rosmaita

   <oedipus> ScribeNick: oedipus

   <shepazu> MS: attended SVGOpen, web developer, phD student, use SVG to
   do hobby stuff, like to advocate use in scientific presentation

   Manuel: based in Germany - joined IG week ago - part time developer;
   no use cases for me at moment, but trying to make presentations - some
   work, some don't

   Anthony: represent Canon on SVG WG

   <aneumann> Canon

   <shepazu> s/ICANN/Canon/

   oedipus = Gregory J. Rosmaita

Process Page for IG Wiki for new members to get them acclimatized; short
page

   JS: where is tracker, how to use, etc.
   ... main page of wiki good start - anyone want to create simple page

   MS: tracker instructions

   DS: maybe could point to those things

   JS: starting page
   ... links to existing resources

   <scribe> ACTION: Gregory - start simple wiki page for IG and W3C
   resources [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2008/09/25-svgig-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-11 - - start simple wiki page for IG and W3C
   resources [on Gregory Rosmaita - due 2008-10-02].

   JS: wiki collaborative

   MS: will help on wiki

   JS: process page - summarize itself

   <Manuel> my nick in the wiki: mstrehl

   DS: create account, email me or jeff

   JS: last: conference call time and date

   <HelderMagalhaes> Possibly also (if not existent) add some information
   on participating on conference calls... ;-)

   JS: doug started poll last week
   ... is this the right time? international participation important

   <JeffSchiller> link to poll:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-ig/2008JulSep/0067.html

   DS: move telecon because some of the more active members not able to
   attend at this time

   @helder - will add call participation info to wiki page

   JS: please fill out form so can schedule calls

Community

   JS: Rob Russell - svg community web site - synopsis

   <HelderMagalhaes> oedipus: Great! :-)

   RR: have site set up running on temporary domain - rush70.com - right
   now everything not visible to public - want more stability before more
   exposure
   ... site doesn't have final theme - installed pile of themes - anyone
   who wants to can edit user prefs to choose theme - feedback on themes
   IG likes
   ... theme: zen is good starting point; sent email to list about this;
   if anyone wants to tailor a theme, can give ftp access to site to
   tailor without impacting rest of site

   JS: how to change theme?

   RR: under my account, choose edit, then choose from long list of
   themes near bottom of document
   ... probably want a "portal looking" theme
   ... openID login turned on - anyone who can improve, please do

   <Manuel> it's rush70.com, isn't it?

   RR: turned on wiki tools module - editing handbook page there is a
   script link to enter sample script; can add pages to book - Best
   Practices for Authoring SVG Content on web

   <JeffSchiller> it is rush70.com, yes

   RR: syntax highlighting model - if include code, use <code type="xml"
   ...> will do syntax highlighting

   GJR: how performs syntax highlighting

   RR: uses GEHSI - marks up with spans
   ... creates CSS rules

   oedipus@hicom.net or gregory@linux-foundation.org

   <Rob_Russell> http://qbnz.com/highlighter/

   RR: druple module makes available to users

   GJR: will provide feedback

   RR: class naming revision would be good
   ... is a DIFF module that turned on - if someone goes in under script
   link at top and adds page, can create new versions of pages with
   history - diff module supposed to mark changes between revisions

   <Rob_Russell> http://www.rush70.com/content/scripts-library

   RR: anyone with account can edit page referred to above - "revisions"
   tab shows diff; checkbox when submitting page
   ... new aggregator running on site; working on getting simple work
   flow for approving work items we want to highlight on site

   JS: if other admins can get on board and work together, would be
   preferable

   RR: created role "administrator" - anyone that wants admin access to
   site during beta, can turn on, then can decide roles (admins,
   moderators, etc. when ready to go live)

   MS: integrate with main W3C page?

   DS: that is the plan
   ... SVG page is news off of svg.org -- we will be using news feed
   specifically for w3c as that updates, will automatically refresh more
   often; w3c page currently not automated - have to manually rebuild;
   going to change so when new feed comes in will go to w3c page
   ... finally heard back from svg.org's owner

Permanent Home for Site

   DS: writing to him in english, but he speaks french and not a lot of
   english; antoine interceded for me - working through karl dubost
   (native french speaker) to help communicate with guy - reluctant to
   get rid of domain - has long-term project he wants to use svg.org for
   - don't want him to change nature of svg.org from our community site
   to a private site - offered sub-domain, but don't think that is what
   we want -- open to transfer w3c or to established com

   it which is what we are

   DS: might sell or donate to W3C - still in negotiation
   ... should know by next meeting if willing to transfer svg.org - if
   asking considerable sum for it, may pose problems and should
   re-examine (1) is it worth it and (2) can we raise money for it

   JS: domain not as important as content - content rich site, domain
   name can be something other than svg.org

   DP: can take up collection or can we consider something branded with
   interest group - svgig.org or svgig.com

   JS: thinking site would be broader than just w3c - admins and worker
   bees probably from IG, but w3c doesn't go hand-in-hand with site
   control

   <DavePorter> svg-community.com

   DS: appreciated DP's point - would be received better if perceived as
   community and not W3C site

   svg4all.org

   JS: svg.net a possibility; owner reluctant to part with domain - not a
   lot of traffic at site - asked him to consider us as first candidate
   in bidding for domain name

   <DavePorter> Maybe to provide a carrot for someone giving up their
   existing svg.* domain, is have a banner add or link prominently in
   "our" site pointing them back to whatever commercial type enterprise
   they have got going.

   DS: can convince svg.org guy - sounded willing because no single
   company stepping forward to champion SVG, so may be best to transfer
   to w3c
   ... could put a "donate" link on site

   <DavePorter> Bring them into our community--sort of.

   GJR: could ask DAISY consortium for liaison with SVG in DAISY work

   DS: would help to have non-profit to promote SVGOpen and other
   programs - "help us with our activities" donation button
   ... fairly low overhead

   JS: should have some news on svg.org - other possibilities which RR
   has offered

   DS: in 2009 opening up .web - svg.web not bad
   ... who has svg.cc?
   ... cc from creative commons signifies clearly openess

   JS: still need theme for site;

ACTION ITEM REVIEW

   JS: designers to help?

   DS: contacted about joining svg ig - don't want to be go between
   rather have them interacting directly with us
   ... john cruz is now part of SVG IG - helps run inkscape project (open
   source graphical editing tool for SVG)
   ... inkscape interesting to me because casual designer asked for basic
   info about inkscape, but didn't realize after having used it he was
   creating SVG -- people just using tool, which is what is goal
   ... parlay community building into SVG Community site

   RR: if don't get contributions i will draw pictures and i am not an
   artist

   DS: is it worth our while to start before find out about domain name
   within couple of weeks, would like to see site go public and get more
   actual content - currently not making best use of rob's time - perhaps
   need to open up more

   RR: open to users and leave robots.txt not to index

   JS: point to rush70?

   <DavePorter> I like open, but I like trying to get to the permanent
   domain home.

   DS: move to domain we have control of

   RR: pick from domains; drupal a pain to move, but can make happen

   DS: wait until have domain (svg.org) - still have to find host for
   svg.org

   <DavePorter> I second what Doug is saying, wait a couple weeks for
   progress on svg.org

   DS: where will it be hosted? can always redirect DNS

   RR: DNS aliasing can be difficult

   DS: not a technical difficulty but a "software feature"

   JS: keep at host using now, RR?

   RR: as long as hosting can hold it up, fine with me; if port, will
   port

   JS: planetsvg.com

   DS: at dreamhost - could get free hosting - do for what wg - could ask
   them

   RR: svghowto.com - would like to make public - so anonymous visitors
   could at least see content, but keep bots from indexing

   <JeffSchiller> ACTION: Rob_Russell to move page to one of his domains
   on 1-and-1 [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2008/09/25-svgig-minutes.html#action02]

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Rob_Russell

   <JeffSchiller> ACTION: Metaphorically to move page to one of his
   domains on 1-and-1 [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2008/09/25-svgig-minutes.html#action03]

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Metaphorically

   GJR: plus 1 to svghowto.org

SVG Open 2009

   Andres: may be hosted in mountainville, close to Monterrey (sp?)

   <DavePorter> Monterrey

   Andres: large companies close by is advantage

   <DavePorter> "Mountain of the king" in Spanish, I believe.

   Andres: 2 choices: one near large companies, one where group could get
   a lot of work done in a positive setting

   JS: didn't get chance to look at facilities

   Andres: contact at Google looking for proposals from us for sponsoring
   or helping out with organization - need to discuss how to procede

   <shepazu> ACTION: Rob to move page to one of his domains on 1-and-1
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/09/25-svgig-minutes.html#action04]

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Rob

   JS: brad neuberg working on SVG at Google

   Andres: may need help with proposal

   DS: can send to SVG IG list or open svg list, can polish it if you
   provide basic data

   Andres: what format?

   DS: text

   Andres: Google style plain in any case

   JS: depends upon sponsorship, but in fall?

   Andres: heard proposal for spring, but IMO fall would be better

   <JeffSchiller> ACTION: Robert Russell to move page to one of his
   domains on 1-and-1 [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2008/09/25-svgig-minutes.html#action05]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-12 - Russell to move page to one of his
   domains on 1-and-1 [on Robert Russell - due 2008-10-02].

   <shepazu> ACTION: Rob_Russell to move page to one of his domains on
   1-and-1 [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2008/09/25-svgig-minutes.html#action06]

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Rob_Russell

   Andres: if approach Google, what do we want to ask of them --
   organization, venue provision, helping defray cost, assistance with
   travel

   <shepazu> ACTION: Russell to move page to one of his domains on
   1-and-1 [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2008/09/25-svgig-minutes.html#action07]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-13 - Move page to one of his domains on
   1-and-1 [on Robert Russell - due 2008-10-02].

   TWO MINUTE WARNING

   DS: ask Google for all of the above -- whatever they are willing to do
   ... some of our concerns are... if Google can help out with one or
   more of these things, would be appreciated; Google brand will give
   conf prestige and improve profile of SVG

   Andres: open source travel assistance

   DS: 2 contacts at Google now -- hit up both

   Andres: vice-president of Google from Switzerland - doesn't know me,
   but i know him

   DS: contact professor who knows him
   ... adjourn or anything urgent?

   <DavePorter> Yes, time is short, Dave Porter has to drop momentarily.

   JS: testing, test set - SVG Torture test idea
   ... high performance SVG demos to see what new javascript widgets can
   do - can start wiki page and brainstorm it

   DS: good idea -- demos needed - need something that impresses and
   instructs

   JS: challanges section: projects on which groups/individuals can work
   ... use SVG to mimic effects of lesser technologies

   <DavePorter> Jeff: please keep reminding us of the W3C IRC client URL
   in communications about our meetings. I always end up scrambling to
   find it.

   JS: new things done in SVG imoprtant too

   <DavePorter> Good day everyone....

   <JeffSchiller> @DavePorter: ok, thanks - sorry

   DS: how to do easier and better pertaining to web in SVG like EricD's
   stuff

   Andres: translations of SVG talked about at OpenSVG -- critical

   DS: want to translate book as well

   JS: move to adjourn - may have new time by next call, so stay tuned to
   emailing list and add to wiki

   <JeffSchiller> Gregory - thanks for scribing you did an awesome job

   you're welcome jeff - not up to my usual standards, but thanks

   <shepazu> thanks again, oedipus

   <JeffSchiller> yeah somehow i have to learn all these tricks with
   trackbots, rrsagent, Zakim

   <JeffSchiller> guess it's a rite of passage?

   <HelderMagalhaes> Yeah, I was saying that to Anthony minutes ago...

   no problem - on the wiki page i will point to my scribe's cheat sheet
   and resources

   <HelderMagalhaes> Great! :-)

   <JeffSchiller> that will be awesome

   <JeffSchiller> did you try my little snow thing in Chrome?

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Gregory - start simple wiki page for IG and W3C
   resources [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2008/09/25-svgig-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: Metaphorically to move page to one of his domains on
   1-and-1 [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2008/09/25-svgig-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: Rob to move page to one of his domains on 1-and-1
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/09/25-svgig-minutes.html#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: Rob_Russell to move page to one of his domains on
   1-and-1 [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2008/09/25-svgig-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: Rob_Russell to move page to one of his domains on
   1-and-1 [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2008/09/25-svgig-minutes.html#action06]
   [NEW] ACTION: Robert Russell to move page to one of his domains on
   1-and-1 [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2008/09/25-svgig-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: Russell to move page to one of his domains on 1-and-1
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/09/25-svgig-minutes.html#action07]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________________
Received on Thursday, 25 September 2008 17:07:56 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 14 April 2009 16:29:30 GMT