RE: CfC on good practices for images

From: chaals@yandex-team.ru [mailto:chaals@yandex-team.ru]
Sent: 01 May 2015 16:19

01.05.2015, 17:13, "Fred Esch" <fesch@us.ibm.com <mailto:fesch@us.ibm.com> >:

Charles,

What is the purpose of having a title on an SVG?

You get a usable title for the image, which is nice for e.g. working through bookmarks, etc.

 As far as I can tell, you won't get a tooltip from a title on an SVG tag, so why not have a desc instead.  Also why both?

A desc should  be reasonable detailed. That makes it a pretty poor candidate for a title.

According to Léonie's article, JAWS 15 with IE 10 gives you both the title and the description. By my quick testing, VoiceOver with any of Yandex browser, Firefox or Safari gives you the title.

Since the meet different use cases, are basic SVG elements, and seem valuable, it seems reasonable to allow both. If we discover later that this is always useless, we will have some important feedback on some very basic principles that have been used widely in dealing with accessibility of graphics. Personally, I think the two kinds of alternative both have valid use cases, and we're unlikely to show otherwise - but I'm willing to be shown wrong.

Plus the title and dec elements map to accessible name and accessible description respectively – meaning they fulfil different semantic purposes.

Léonie.

--

Léonie Watson Senior accessibility engineer, TPG

@LeonieWatson @PacielloGroup PacielloGroup.com