Re: Proposed sdo-sport Skype meeting

> On Mar 7, 2016, at 12:39 PM, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com> wrote:
>
> On 7 March 2016 at 16:38, Jonathan Balls <Jonathan.Balls@bbc.co.uk> wrote:
>> Adding new Event Statuses – Paul is going to prototype these in github.
>> Event Periods – Paul and Steve have suggest we should we should use integer
>> values, otherwise every sport would require the creation of an enumeration.
>>

> Can you elaborate on "Event Periods – Paul and Steve have suggest we
> should we should use integer values, otherwise every sport would
> require the creation of an enumeration. " ... I'm not quite
> understanding the issue.

Instead of an enumeration of first-half, second-half, extra-time, etc. just use 1,2,3 because such numbers can be universally applied to all sports whereas that enumeration is soccer-specific (though it would work for rugby too).

If done this way the user has to infer meaning, which can be supported with documentation. So "4" could mean the following:

soccer and rugby: extra-time second half
ice-hockey: first period of overtime
cricket: first turn of second innings
baseball: fourth inning (or bottom of second inning depending on what we decide)
american-football and basketball: fourth quarter

—paul