Re: Spec should say whether events bubble and are cancelable

From: Hans Wennborg <hwennborg@google.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:23:21 +0100
To: Dominic Mazzoni <dmazzoni@google.com>
Cc: public-speech-api@w3.org
On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Dominic Mazzoni <dmazzoni@google.com> wrote:
> I thought that the objects receiving events are EventTargets, not Nodes, so
> what would it even mean for them to bubble?

Right, it doesn't make sense for us, but maybe the spec should say it anyway?

> I'd prefer that they should be cancelable. It should be possible for a web
> developer to attach multiple event listeners to the same target and have one
> of them fully consume the event so that it doesn't get handled twice.

Isn't the cancelable property used to decide if the event's default
action can be prevented? For example, IndexedDB's error events are
cancelable, because it is possible to prevent their default action of
aborting the current transaction. Another example is the submit event
that is fired when submitting forms; those are cancelable because it
is possible to prevent the submittal of the form [1].

In our case, the events don't have a default action, so what would it
mean to cancel them?

Thanks,
Hans

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-DOM-Level-3-Events-20110531/#event-flow-default-cancel