How to seperate ontology from instances?

From: Marvin Lugair <aunmguy@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 17:32:25 -0800 (PST)
To: public-sparql-dev@w3.org
Hi Does anyone know of a way to separate the ontologies from instance data?
Say you are given an RDF file that contains both ontological and instance triples. You want to break this along the rdf:type boundaries.
Is there a way to do this?
I tried running sparql to search for things that are types of other things themselves (to discover the classes) but then I have some classes that are not a type for any instances but rather superclasses (other classes have a subclass relation to them but nothing has a direct type of them)...
Is there a clean way to do this in sparql? Can we do it through the URI's somehow?

Thanks!