Re: BOF at WWW2008 : SPARQL Futures

Bijan Parsia wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2008, at 16:35, Dan Brickley wrote:
>>
>> Seaborne, Andy wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> For those at WWW2008, or nearby, we can get a room for a BOF ("Birds
>>> of a Feather") meeting on SPARQL Futures including the question of
>>> what, if anything, a "SPARQL2" (1.1?) might cover.
>>>
>> Ah, wish I could make it!
>>
>> In my absence, can I put in a vote for: figuring out more of a common
>> public-facing story with OWL 2.x and RIF...?
>
> That's my cue...
>     http://wiki.webont.org/page/SPARQL/OWL_Task_Force
>     http://wiki.webont.org/page/SPARQL/OWL
>
> (Just starting...hope to have a complete spec by mid summer...depends
> on OWL2 work.)
>
> If RIF people would like to use the webont.org space to spec up stuff
> for SPARQL & RIF (or a semantic web rif dialect) they'd be more than
> welcome. We're certainly going to have the OWL+Rules stuff there and
> the mediawiki is pulling over stuff that we (mostly sandro) is
> developing that makes spec writing quite nice and reasonable.
This is great :) very happy to see this...

[[
Given that the SPARQL query language is a W3C recommendation, that
several OWL implementations use SPARQL syntax as a query langauge, that
many users want a (standard) query language for OWL and expect to be
able to use SPARQL to query OWL, and that, nominally, SPARQL is designed
to be extensible to OWL, there should be an extension of SPARQL to query
OWL.

Three goals:

   1. to cover what we "know" how to do
   2. to describe existing implementations
   3. to meet user desires with minimal "surprise" when transitioning
from RDF(S)
]]

-this rationale seems spot-on. I'm curious to see how well the RIF work
can be plugged into whatever comes out of this...

cheers,

Dan

--
http://danbri.org/