Re: SPARQL/Update

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 18:14:44 +0100
To: "Richard Newman" <rnewman@franz.com>
Cc: "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com>, public-sparql-dev@w3.org
On 09/03/07, Richard Newman <rnewman@franz.com> wrote:

> I like the look of this.

Ditto.

> Is this the appropriate forum for discussions, Andy?

Some already on Planet RDF - Richard C. beat me to it:

http://dowhatimean.net/2007/03/sparul%e2%80%94sparql-update-language

Key concern there -
[[
Max Völkel and I did a very rough proposal for a similar language back
last year. We received some criticism over this: Tunneling application
protocols over HTTP is not an optimal use of the web. Case in point:
the WS-* stack. I tried to work out the issues by asking how RESTful
SQL would look like, a potentially illuminating analogy. I found the
results inconclusive—I understand the concerns raised by REST
proponents, but haven't seen a better alternative.

The main question, I think, is one of scope: Is SPARQL Update intended
as an SQL-like language that applications use to communicate with
their local or nearby data store? Or is it intended as public web
infrastructure, similar to Web 2.0 APIs and HTTP PUT?
]]

(Presumably I'll
> have *something* to say when I study it in detail!)

Ditto. My first impressions (the only bit that would perhaps have been
worth bringing over here is subsumed by Richard's comment above):

http://dannyayers.com/2007/03/09/sparql-update

> Thanks,

Ditto,
Danny.