Re: User stories for Social API

On 02/05/2015 12:54 PM, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ wrote:
> On 02/04/2015 07:26 PM, Harry Halpin wrote:

>>> I just started wiki page for Social Web Glossary[1] I find it
>>> very important to clarify terms like:
>>
>>> 1 App 2 Domestic Server 3 Foreign Server 4 Web Service
>>
>> I in general would not use the term Web Service due to its
>> history with SOAP, which is a separate stack. You could say
>> simply "website" (if you mean domain, ala www.example.org running
>> separate apps in different iframes) or just say "platform" if you
>> mean something more cross-domain, like Twitter or Google
>> eco-systems.
> website - for most people may not sound like something providing
> REST API, most people may expect HTML and web browser based
> interaction
>
> platform - could you drop some links showing how people use this
> term?

Rather than make up new terms, let's use terms in a way people
already. Google, Facebook, Twitter call themselves 'platforms.' You
can use a search engine yourself easily to figure this out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook_Platform

Web Services  has a very specific meaning inside W3C:

http://www.w3.org/TR/ws-arch/

>> Ditto domestic and foreign server. Typically, one says "provider"
>> for domestic server and "relying party" for foreign server.
> do you think people won't get confused when my "provider" will act
> for you as "relying party" and your "provider" will act for me as
> "relying party"? i find terms *domestic* and *foreign* putting more
> emphasis on a perspective from which we look at it and not that
> much on the functionality...

Provider and relying party are the most common terms in how the rest
of the standards world (i.e. OAuth etc.) uses. Foreign/domestic
usually has to do with state boundaries in modern parlance.

>> There's a good terminology section here:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/FinalReport#The_Terminology

thanks, will check this out!