Re: User stories for Social API

On 02/04/2015 04:40 PM, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ wrote:
> On 02/04/2015 03:37 PM, henry.story@bblfish.net wrote:
>>> Maybe for our next telecon you could sketch out an alternative
>>> vision, without a server-to-server protocol?
>>
>> yes, that is not difficult. When you say client you mean browser,
>> when you mean server you mean a machine that is usually without a
>> display, and that is constantly bound to the internet. In my
>> world - the world of HTTP and APIs - clients and server are just
>> roles that computers play. A computer program can be in server
>> role in one moment and then client the next. One multiple core
>> machines they can be both simultaneously.  So there is no
>> server/server api. There can only ever be client/server
>> relations.
> I just started wiki page for Social Web Glossary[1] I find it very
> important to clarify terms like:
>
> 1 App 2 Domestic Server 3 Foreign Server 4 Web Service

I in general would not use the term Web Service due to its history
with SOAP, which is a separate stack. You could say simply "website"
(if you mean domain, ala www.example.org running separate apps in
different iframes) or just say "platform" if you mean something more
cross-domain, like Twitter or Google eco-systems.

 Ditto domestic and foreign server. Typically, one says "provider" for
domestic server and "relying party" for foreign server.

There's a good terminology section here:

http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/FinalReport#The_Terminology