Re: W3C Social WG and federation consensus/collaboration

On 12/29/2014 06:57 PM, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ writes:
>
>> On 11/04/2014 05:07 PM, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
>>> There is something I'm actively worried about: I know it's a major goal
>>> of this group to produce a standard around federation that can help
>>> unify the federated web (this is why Jessica and I are excited to
>>> participate!).  Unfortunately, while we have several federation
>>> standards already and real, active implementations of these, the other
>>> federation groups do not seem to be participating.
>>>
>>> Who do we have who is actually going to be working on the protocol
>>> layers from:
>>>
>>>  - GNU Social (OStatus)
>>>  - diaspora (large and active!  Using something akin to OStatus)
>>>  - tent.io (tent protocol has its own ideas https://tent.io/docs )
>>>  - friendica (has some very similar ideas in Zot:
>>>     https://github.com/friendica/red/wiki/Zot---A-High-Level-Overview )
>>
>> I just met, here at 31C3[1], Michael Vogel[2] who works on Friendica.
>> Tomorrow, or one of next 3 days of this event, we'll get together and
>> take some time together trying to catch up on work in Social WG and
>> Friendica.
>>
>> He mentioned trying to follow our mailing list and gave me quick
>> feedback that he found it hard to follow all the conversations. I'll
>> follow up here after we get chance to speak but maybe we'll need to
>> create some kind of more accessible interface for people like Michael,
>> who focus on their implementations.
>>
>> Warm greetings from Hamburg :)
>>
>> [1] https://events.ccc.de/congress/2014
>> [2] http://www.dabo.de/ | https://github.com/annando
>
> This is great to hear, elf!  Thank you for rdoing live outreach! :)
>
> Btw, speaking of live outreach, I've been accepted to a talk at
> Libreplanet on "Federation and GNU" at LibrePlanet 2015:
>
>   http://libreplanet.org/2015/
>
> LibrePlanet is happening right after our live face to face, also in
> Boston/Cambridge!  If you are interested in staying in the area a little
> bit longer, maybe you should come along!
Congratulations! I hope some of group participants will participate :)

> Thanks again for speaking to people face to face, elf!  I hope we see
> Michael Vogel joining our conversations in the Social WG soon, sounds
> like he would be a great member!

We, Harry and I, just had today very cool meeting with bunch of people
working on federation. Including current main maintainer of Diaspora,
main contributor to Friendica, past main contributor of BuddyCloud and
couple others. I'll clean up notes from this meeting and share on
separate thread in next 2-3 days (please nudge me if I don't!)
https://events.ccc.de/congress/2014/wiki/Session:Working_with_W3C_Social_Web_Groups

Ciao o/