Re: W3C Social WG and federation consensus/collaboration

☮ elf Pavlik ☮ writes:

> On 11/04/2014 05:07 PM, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
>> There is something I'm actively worried about: I know it's a major goal
>> of this group to produce a standard around federation that can help
>> unify the federated web (this is why Jessica and I are excited to
>> participate!).  Unfortunately, while we have several federation
>> standards already and real, active implementations of these, the other
>> federation groups do not seem to be participating.
>>
>> Who do we have who is actually going to be working on the protocol
>> layers from:
>>
>>  - GNU Social (OStatus)
>>  - diaspora (large and active!  Using something akin to OStatus)
>>  - tent.io (tent protocol has its own ideas https://tent.io/docs )
>>  - friendica (has some very similar ideas in Zot:
>>     https://github.com/friendica/red/wiki/Zot---A-High-Level-Overview )
>
> I just met, here at 31C3[1], Michael Vogel[2] who works on Friendica.
> Tomorrow, or one of next 3 days of this event, we'll get together and
> take some time together trying to catch up on work in Social WG and
> Friendica.
>
> He mentioned trying to follow our mailing list and gave me quick
> feedback that he found it hard to follow all the conversations. I'll
> follow up here after we get chance to speak but maybe we'll need to
> create some kind of more accessible interface for people like Michael,
> who focus on their implementations.
>
> Warm greetings from Hamburg :)
>
> [1] https://events.ccc.de/congress/2014
> [2] http://www.dabo.de/ | https://github.com/annando

This is great to hear, elf!  Thank you for rdoing live outreach! :)

Btw, speaking of live outreach, I've been accepted to a talk at
Libreplanet on "Federation and GNU" at LibrePlanet 2015:

  http://libreplanet.org/2015/

LibrePlanet is happening right after our live face to face, also in
Boston/Cambridge!  If you are interested in staying in the area a little
bit longer, maybe you should come along!

Thanks again for speaking to people face to face, elf!  I hope we see
Michael Vogel joining our conversations in the Social WG soon, sounds
like he would be a great member!

 - cwebb