Re: [AS2] Deprecate "url" in favor of "id" and "self" link relations

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 6:05 AM, Markus Lanthaler
<markus.lanthaler@gmx.net> wrote:
> On 21 Aug 2014 at 18:16, James M Snell wrote:
>> In an activity streams document, the "url" property is typically used
>> to point to a displayable (typically HTML) representation of an
>> object. The "id" property is typically used to provide just an
>> identifier. With AS2's direct incorporation of IANA Link Relations, it
>> makes more sense to deprecate the use of "url" in favor of link
>> relations such as "self" or "alternate". Doing so simplifies things a
>> bit more and gives us better alignment with things like JSON-LD.
>
> Why do you think the tokens "self" or "alternate" give "better alignment with things like JSON-LD"?

My apologies, I was not clear enough on this point. This had to do
with how Link Value's were defined, not with the "self" or "alternate"
link relations in general. Previously, there was ambiguity in the way
Link Value's used either url or id. That ambiguity has been cleared
up.

> It is interesting to note that Schema.org (likely the most widely used vocabulary) has a "url" [1] property which matches quite well with what "url" in AS1 was supposed to do. In fact, I think it is the better match than IANA's "self".

Based on the feedback, I've taken another pass on this that does not
deprecate url, but goes through an specifically defines it's
relationship to "id", "self" and "alternate". While it's just a first
pass and should still be considered a draft, I believe the new
language works better:

See: http://jasnell.github.io/w3c-socialwg-activitystreams/activitystreams2.html#object-links

- James