RE: [AS2] Deprecate "url" in favor of "id" and "self" link relations

On 21 Aug 2014 at 18:16, James M Snell wrote:
> In an activity streams document, the "url" property is typically used
> to point to a displayable (typically HTML) representation of an
> object. The "id" property is typically used to provide just an
> identifier. With AS2's direct incorporation of IANA Link Relations, it
> makes more sense to deprecate the use of "url" in favor of link
> relations such as "self" or "alternate". Doing so simplifies things a
> bit more and gives us better alignment with things like JSON-LD.

Why do you think the tokens "self" or "alternate" give "better alignment with things like JSON-LD"?

It is interesting to note that Schema.org (likely the most widely used vocabulary) has a "url" [1] property which matches quite well with what "url" in AS1 was supposed to do. In fact, I think it is the better match than IANA's "self".

Cheers,
Markus

[1] http://schema.org/url

--