W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-social-web-talk@w3.org > June 2009

Telecon minutes 2009-06-17

From: Phil Archer <phil@philarcher.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 15:12:11 +0100
Message-ID: <4A38F9BB.8060906@philarcher.org>
To: "public-social-web-talk@w3.org" <public-social-web-talk@w3.org>
The minutes from today's telecon are available at 
http://www.w3.org/2009/06/17-swxg-minutes.html with a text version below 
for convenience.

                           SWXG Weekly Telecon

17 Jun 2009

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-socialweb/2009May/0127.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2009/06/17-swxg-irc

Attendees

    Present
           +1.314.683.aaaa, DKA, pchampin, tpa, Phil_Archer, tinkster,
           +1.510.931.aacc, oshani, AlexKorth, +4222aadd, cperey,
           +03491549aaee, jsalvachua, +0797094aaff, claudiov,
           +46.1.08.01.aagg, Carine, MacTed, FabGandon, karl, danbri,
           hhalpin

    Regrets
    Chairs
           Dan Appelquist, Dan Brickley & Harry Halpin (yes, all 3)

    Scribe
           PhilA

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Discussion on Context
          2. [6]General Organization and Task Forces
          3. [7]Invited Guests
          4. [8]Creating User Stories on the Wiki
          5. [9]Social Network Matrix
      * [10]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________



    <rreck> i didnt see my self join when i called in

    <rreck> where are the calling in messages?

    <bblfish> hello

    <tinkster> danbri has sent regrets and neither of our other chairs
    seem to have turned up yet.

    <rreck> i saw harry online earlier

    <rreck> its a he

    <yuk> +yuk

    <scribe> scribe: PhilA

    <scribe> scribeNick:PhilA

    <AlexKorth> pchampin, indeed :)

    <tpa> yup, still not working

    Context: DKA in an airport lounge, Harry should be joining soon

Discussion on Context

    DKA: Wasnt to jump staright in to the discussion on context
    ... Claudio - you and I have been most vociferous on this topic
    ... so can we kick off this privacy nad context TF
    ... so are you able to take a leadership role?

    Claudio: In principle it would be nice
    ... but like everyone, I have several engagements
    ... but it's difficult to understand how the TF relates to the rest
    of the group. If Telecom Italia has some goals that it thinks are
    crucial?
    ... I need to process my first proposal and see what the discussion
    leads to

    DKA: You've fallen into my trap :-)
    ... Can you take your original proposal; and subsequent discussion
    and formulate that as a TF charter?
    ... The XG needs to agree on the context charter so that the TF's
    work can be defined

    Claudio: Again, nothing against creating that document but it would
    be useful to get some more comments
    ... I want to be usre that we're progressing in a way that makes
    sense
    ... (to the group)

    <cperey> also there is the question of whether the Task Force will
    cover privacy

    Claudio: is it in scope to specify APIs for instance? Are we to
    create a vocabulary? Is it reasonable to achive those goals?

    <bblfish> perhaps we need examples of contexts, use cases make sense

    DKA: Can you point us to an initial e-mail and thtead?
    ... I think the group needs a summary to look at

    <tinkster> Current deliverables
    <[11]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/Context_TF#Deli
    verables> look good and achievable to me.

      [11] 
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/Context_TF#Deliverables%3E

    Cl;audio: There's a pointer on the scoail web wiki page

    <cperey> is this is a Task Force for Context + Privacy? or is there
    Task Force for Context and another Task Force for Privacy/Security

    Claudio: the link says sometehing like "this is an initial scope
    that the TF might do"

    <tinkster> Claudio's scoping message -
    [12]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-socialweb/2009Jun/
    0020.html

      [12] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-socialweb/2009Jun/0020.html

    DKA: SO my initial feedback would be that the soecification of APIs
    is probably out of scope but a selection of existing APIs would be
    in scope

    <bblfish> what is context? It seems incredibly general.

    <mattroweshow> bblfish+1

    <pchampin> bblfish+1

    DKA: So that fits in with the ethos of an XG - not to develop new
    technologies - more how to use exsting tech

    <bblfish> is it just another way to speak about named graphs?

    DKA: But I definitely agree that a catalogue of different social
    contexts is useful
    ... a vocab and privacy model would then flow from that
    ... I just have a problem with the spec of an API

    Claudio: The only info I have on this is the term context. It may be
    huge and include a lot of things
    ... then it's really related to some concept of an activity that a
    user may be performing at a given time

    <mattroweshow> context is abstract, specialisations need to be
    defined

    Claudio: this is like an extended version of the presence info

    <tinkster> bblfish, my definition of context is up-to-the-minute
    profile info - i.e., not foaf:based_near, but where is the person
    right now; what devices are they currently using; are they asleep,
    so not to be disturbed; what music are they listening to...

    Claudio: I can give more info about my context that might be useful
    to people I'm connected to

    <bblfish> ah ok. Don't call me, I am asleep.

    <cperey> context could also include "I'm in a call

    <bblfish> There was an ontology for what I am doing now

    Claudio: the user may be working, playing, travelling etc.

    <mattroweshow> so context embodies the current status also

    Claudio: we have a few use cases that may point to exploitation
    possibilitie4s
    ... maybe something like 50% of your friends on a train, one
    walking, one shopping etc
    ... these fit in with our definition of the term 'context'

    <AlexKorth> totally useful but for me subdomain of privacy

    <bblfish> ok, yes, makes sense

    <bblfish> it would be easy to build a vocab like that

    DKA: Thanks for that

    <mattroweshow> Really good explanation of context

    <AlexKorth> vocab could be similar to activitystrea.ms

    [ASIDE]: Discussion of who will chair now that DKA has to board a
    plane. Dan Bri takes over...

    <scribe> chair: Dan_Appelquist

    <scribe> chair: Dan_Brickley

    <rreck> i define context based on groundings

    <rreck> in time and space

    <bblfish> ok I have it [13]http://crschmidt.net/foaf/menow/

      [13] http://crschmidt.net/foaf/menow/

    <danbri> can someone make an attempt at writing down what daniela
    said?

    <cperey> should the definition include a social element?

    Claudio: Having heard DKA's summary I think yes, that's good. I
    think we're close to a definition of context

    <bblfish> the definition of context is very prgamatic.

    Danbri: I'm afraid I can in half way through
    ... my instinct is to get started withthe work as we atre an XG not
    a WG

    DKA: We can't keep messing around talking about what we're going to
    talk about

    ??: Even if defining an API is out of scope, I guess it's not out of
    scope to recommend that someone should?

    <bblfish> here is another ontology:
    [14]http://www.milanstankovic.org/opo/ontology.html

      [14] http://www.milanstankovic.org/opo/ontology.html

    <hajons> Håkan = hajons

    DKA: Surely we should be working out where the gaps are and who
    should fill them

    ack

    <bblfish> that is the "Online Presence Ontology"

    <scribe> ACTION: PhilA to work with Claudio on taking the context
    discussion to a proposal [recorded in
    [15]http://www.w3.org/2009/06/17-swxg-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - PhilA

    <tinkster> We skipped item 1 and have done item 2 now.

    <scribe> ACTION:Phil_Archer to work with Clausio to take context
    discussion to a TF proposal [recorded in
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2009/06/17-swxg-minutes.html#action02]

    <tpa> Zakime, take up agendum 3

General Organization and Task Forces

    DanBri: Just sorting out who is a TF leader

    <danbri> 3. Task Forces

    <danbri> + Do we have confirmed leaders for Context and Privacy Task

    <danbri> Force (Karl Dubost)?

    <danbri> is that 1 or 2, ...etc

    <danbri> (who said "hi"?)

    DKA: I think that Claudio and PhilA need to put toegther a more
    fleshed out TF goal in the wiki

    <danbri> daniela: claudio and phil will work on a fleshed-out scope
    in wiki, then if Claudio's happy with goals he is happy to be named
    on tf leader

    DKA: that doen, he, Claudio, might then be TF leader
    .,.. the though thing is getting consensus on the TF scope

    DanBri: did we have a leader on protability?

    PeteFern: I think I was up for that

    <danbri> For Portability and Architectures Task Force (@@)?

    <karl> trackbot, comment ACTION-35 seny a message to Evan about
    joining the July 1st call. No answer yet. Will followup in 2 days in
    no answer.

    <trackbot> ACTION-35 Follow up with Evan, see if July 1st date to
    talk about microblogging works. notes added

    <mischat> via harry's last email : Context Ontology :
    [17]http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-dcontology-20090616/

      [17] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-dcontology-20090616/

    ??: I was trying to update the wiki for portability and architecture

    <danbri> OK, Pete + ?? (missed name)

    danbri: is the wiki update going OK? Is it working?

    <tinkster> joachim salvachua

    <danbri> "Has Joaquin found scoping to be better for

    <danbri> portability? Can we have two leaders per task force? Do we

    <danbri> have critical mass, and if so, can we get telecon times for

    <danbri> them?"

    Joachim: I don't know if we have critical mass for this

    <danbri> (can someone post wiki pointer?)

    Joachim: we are trying to organise a call

    <mattroweshow>
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/Portability_Arch
    itecture_TF

      [18] 
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/Portability_Architecture_TF

    Joachim: or an IRC meeting?
    ... we can discuss the differnet tasks and see how we can organise
    portabuility and architecture

    danbri: so could you take an actionm to do that?

    Joachim: yes

    <scribe> ACTION: Joachim to organise a meeting to discuss the scope
    of the portability and architecture TF [recorded in
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2009/06/17-swxg-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Joachim

    <danbri> trackbot, help

    <trackbot> See [20]http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc for help

      [20] http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc

    <tinkster> trackbot, status

    <scribe> ACTION: jsalvachua to organise meeteing to discuss scope of
    portability and architecture TF [recorded in
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2009/06/17-swxg-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - jsalvachua

    <caribou> user is joaquin

    <scribe> ACTION: joaquin to organise meeteing to discuss scope of
    portability and architecture TF [recorded in
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2009/06/17-swxg-minutes.html#action05]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-40 - Organise meeteing to discuss scope of
    portability and architecture TF [on joaquin Salvachua - due
    2009-06-24].

    danbri: Dan A where are we up to wrt invited guests?

Invited Guests

    DKA: I think we need more inter-chair coordination

    <tinkster> Do we need a chairing list like the scribes list?

    DKA: my whole last week has been taken up with W3C working group
    meetings and strange Greek visitors
    ... Informally, the invited guests I've had most feedback on is this
    guy, Evan from the microblogging community

    <danbri> ACTION: danbri invite Evan P. of identi.ca to a call
    [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2009/06/17-swxg-minutes.html#action06]

    danbri to line up Evan as guest speaker

    <scribe> ACTION: danbri to line up Evan as guest speaker [recorded
    in [24]http://www.w3.org/2009/06/17-swxg-minutes.html#action07]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-41 - Line up Evan as guest speaker [on Dan
    Brickley - due 2009-06-24].

    ??: I had an action item to work with Harry to invite Nathan Eagle
    as a guest speaker

Creating User Stories on the Wiki

    <bblfish> cool

    <bblfish> I added a few 1-5 user stories

    <bblfish> Would like some feedback

    <hajons> ?? = hajons = Håkan

    There's some stuff about take down on the wiki

    <danbri> close 2x danbri actions

    <karl> danbri, :) action-41 and action-35 are the same no?

    <danbri> continue oshani

    Oshani: Hi, yes, I didn't write it formally but I will do

    <danbri> (similar, karl. similar ;)

    Oshani: so you want me to write it based on the current template?
    ... (the one Karl sent out)

    danbri: That would be ideal but we're not fussy

    <danbri> phil "i have a couple ... need to check not already done
    ... can add in next 48 hours...

    <danbri> "things around safety, people for whom their online id is
    their real id ...

    <danbri> "also people avoiding certain harmful ppl

    <tinkster> More user stories: danbri, maybe your provenance of
    microblogs question could be added - tracing back forwarded
    messages.

    <mattroweshow> interesting interpretation of online existence

    danbri: Harry brought up the Iram situation - can that ne a uc?

    tpa: I wanted to talk a little about cleaning up some of the ones
    already there

    <danbri> tinkster, care to attempt that writeup?

    <tinkster> yes, sure.

    <danbri> thx. can you action yourself?

    tpa: I'm about to throw a third template into the system. What are
    the plans for the user stories?

    <tinkster> ACTION Toby to document danbri's microblogging provenance
    question as a user story.

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-42 - Document danbri's microblogging
    provenance question as a user story. [on Toby Inkster - due
    2009-06-24].

    tpa: is it going to be a running thing? Will it be locked at some
    point? What is the expected use of the edited version?

    <bblfish> I think we add stories during the life of the XG, but as
    we go on they will settle

    danbri: The primary deliverable from this group is the report. That
    said, the repository of use cases is going to be useul for everyone
    to see what tech needs to address

    karL: I think the user stories can be used when we're writing the
    formal spec - use them to define what we want to write about

    <Zakim> karl, you wanted to talk about the user stories

    Tim: I'm going to try nad converge the different things into one
    ... I don't expect too much of a change from what Karl's template
    did

    scribe notes that I think the previous 'tpa' accreditation was
    probably wrong

    Tim: I've already seen some repitition. I've recommended that we use
    character names with first names from the alphabet
    ... I think if I create different characters, that might generate
    new cases.

    danbri: Endorse the point about covering people from differnet
    backgrounds

    <bblfish> +1 good idea with multiple backgrounds

    <danbri> ACTION: danbri write up orkut/i18n/"looking for" issue
    [recorded in
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2009/06/17-swxg-minutes.html#action08]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-43 - Write up orkut/i18n/"looking for"
    issue [on Dan Brickley - due 2009-06-24].

    <tinkster> Good cast of characters to start with:
    [26]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_and_Bob

      [26] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_and_Bob

    TIm: What would be nice would be that any story arriving after next
    week did so using the template

    <danbri> cf [27]http://www.w3.org/WAI/redesign/personas

      [27] http://www.w3.org/WAI/redesign/personas

    danbri: do you need a new action item for this?

    Tim: no

    danbri: Harry, you're here?

    <danbri> hhalpin, will you join us?

    oshani: I'm confused about the final deliverable of the privacy TF?
    ... I'd like it to be more specific
    ... I've not seen any e-mails on this. What is the privacy
    landscape? (please;-) )

    <bblfish> I think it is just some idea of what kinds of privacy
    solutions are out there

    danbri: landscape is one of those words that means please describe
    everything? �!

    Karl: Like Oshani, I'm worried that the scope is not clear
    ... it's why I was trying to make sure that the user stories would
    define a tighter scope
    ... maybe I could discuss this with Oshani by mail

    <AlexKorth> macted must be noisy?

    <danbri> (it was karl i think)

    oshani: from my POV, context is as aspect of privacy so moving it
    out makes it difficult for me

    danbri: is this something that we can solve by redirection?
    ... we look at XMPP< microformats, open social etc/.

    <AlexKorth> oshani: context subtask of privacy +1. on the other hand
    it makes sence to chop tasks down to subtasks

    danbri: they'll say different things and it might give us a first
    pass on how they all cover this

    <bblfish> stuff like SOAP has privacy too or something

    <bblfish> what is privacy in real life?

Social Network Matrix

    <danbri> some fix topic!!

    <cperey> I think we have achieved the first level goal

    <cperey> generated in multiple ways

    HH: How I was envisioning the social matrix was a list of X sites,
    ideally geographically dispersed with some view on usage

    <hhalpin>
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/TopSocialNetwork
    ingSites

      [28] 
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/TopSocialNetworkingSites

    HH: how they implemented context, privacy and portability

    <bblfish> the paper sent to the mailing list this week was very
    helpful

    <AlexKorth> the one of sören preibusch, yes!

    HH: Once the use case doc has some functionality like single log in,
    multiple groups, multiple privacy, dynamic context, then we can go
    through these different sites and see how they match up

    <bblfish> yes

    <cperey> the paper sent was very helpful, but doesn't cover mobile
    social networks

    HH: I was going to suggest we asked Sorin or his co-author to
    discuss at the next telecon how they would take their data and merge
    it into our deliverable

    <hhalpin> Social Network matrix

    <AlexKorth> paper pointer:
    [29]http://preibusch.de/publications/social_networks/privacy_jungle_
    dataset.htm

      [29] 
http://preibusch.de/publications/social_networks/privacy_jungle_dataset.htm

    HH: the overview deliverable will be on future direction of W3C

    <danbri> tpa, i wanted to grab harry while he was there re 6. but
    sorry should've wrapped up User Stories first

    HH: but a technical deliverable would list some of the details

    <bblfish> sounds good +1

    HH: I'm just proposing that Sorin and I exchange matrices and look
    over each other's

    <bblfish> is mobile social netowrks, social networks on mobile
    devices ?

    <danbri> (re 6, ... continue all actions)

    These are large actions - Karl making a matrix is a big job

    <cperey> agreed

    <cperey> continued

    HH: And there's a lot for me and Christine to do - they ain't going
    to be done by next week

    <tpa> No I'm good

    <danbri> tpa? anything more re user stories?

    danbri: any more to say onuser stories?
    ... we should begin to wrap up

    <cperey> mobile social networks = social networks which are
    by-design for mobile device users

    <AlexKorth> mobile context-related privacy can only be covered be
    investigating mobile SNS

    propsed resolution: accept
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/20-swxg-minutes.html as last week's
    minutes

      [30] http://www.w3.org/2009/05/20-swxg-minutes.html

    proposed resolution: accept
    [31]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/20-swxg-minutes.html as last week's
    minutes

      [31] http://www.w3.org/2009/05/20-swxg-minutes.html

    <AlexKorth> sure

    <cperey> maybe do that on mailing list

    <oshani> hhalpin, yes

    <hhalpin> Quick question - should we have Soren's Preibusch.

    <hhalpin> 's paper to discuss?

    <tinkster> I'm happy to accept last week's minutes.

    <AlexKorth> hhalpin, good idea

    <hhalpin> I think Evan said he was available on July 1st?

    resolution: accept
    [32]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/20-swxg-minutes.html as last week's
    minutes

      [32] http://www.w3.org/2009/05/20-swxg-minutes.html

    <bblfish> +1

    <cperey> I +1

    <MacTed> +1

    danbri: meeting adjourned

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: danbri invite Evan P. of identi.ca to a call [recorded
    in [33]http://www.w3.org/2009/06/17-swxg-minutes.html#action06]
    [NEW] ACTION: danbri write up orkut/i18n/"looking for" issue
    [recorded in
    [34]http://www.w3.org/2009/06/17-swxg-minutes.html#action08]
    [NEW] ACTION: joaquin to organise meeteing to discuss scope of
    portability and architecture TF [recorded in
    [35]http://www.w3.org/2009/06/17-swxg-minutes.html#action05]
    [NEW] ACTION: PhilA to work with Claudio on taking the context
    discussion to a proposal [recorded in
    [36]http://www.w3.org/2009/06/17-swxg-minutes.html#action01]
Received on Wednesday, 17 June 2009 14:12:59 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 17 June 2009 14:13:00 GMT