Re: New, Unified XG Proposal

Danny,

> But I'd like to ask Michael, might not the division of the XG into
> Task Forces achieve the same ends (assuming perhaps per-TF telecons)?
> It still seems desirable to keep everything coordinated under a single
> umbrella.

Hm. Well, theoretically, yes. As the process doc [1] doesn't talk about XGs
at all (please W3C staff, correct me on that) the only W3C-normative
document I was able to find is the 'Incubator Group (XG) Procedures' [2]
(I'm CCing Mauro, the current Incubator Activity Lead).

If the above stated proofs correct, I guess we can conclude that the
paragraph in section 6.1 of [1]:

'A Chair MAY form task forces (composed of group participants) to carry out
assignments for the group. The scope of these assignments MUST NOT exceed
the scope of the group's charter. A group SHOULD document the process it
uses to create task forces (e.g., each task force might have an informal
"charter"). Task forces do not publish technical reports; the Working Group
MAY choose to publish their results as part of a technical report.'

holds for XGs as well.

So much for the lawyers in and beneath us.

Still I wonder why one should want ONE XG. A single mailing list, ok, I can
see the advantages outweighing the burden of receiving maaany emails ;)

One telecon for all TF? No way. Ever been on a telecon with say 30 people.
Before the last one says 'hello' the hour is over.

So, I'd still lobby for having two or three dedicated XGs and willing to put
some sensible amount of time into it in terms of 'administration'. Be it as
scribe, as chair, as editor or whatever.

Cheers,
      Michael

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/process.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/procedures.html

--
Dr. Michael Hausenblas
National University of Ireland, Lower Dangan,