Re: New, Unified XG Proposal

Hi Michael,

Please see comments inline.

Best,
Mauro

>> But I'd like to ask Michael, might not the division of the XG into
>> Task Forces achieve the same ends (assuming perhaps per-TF telecons)?
>> It still seems desirable to keep everything coordinated under a
>> single
>> umbrella.
>
> Hm. Well, theoretically, yes. As the process doc [1] doesn't talk
> about XGs
> at all (please W3C staff, correct me on that) the only W3C-normative
> document I was able to find is the 'Incubator Group (XG)
> Procedures' [2]
> (I'm CCing Mauro, the current Incubator Activity Lead).

This is correct.  XGs follow the Process Document's procedures for W3C
Working Groups.

> If the above stated proofs correct, I guess we can conclude that the
> paragraph in section 6.1 of [1]:
>
> 'A Chair MAY form task forces (composed of group participants) to
> carry out
> assignments for the group. The scope of these assignments MUST NOT
> exceed
> the scope of the group's charter. A group SHOULD document the
> process it
> uses to create task forces (e.g., each task force might have an
> informal
> "charter"). Task forces do not publish technical reports; the
> Working Group
> MAY choose to publish their results as part of a technical report.'
>
> holds for XGs as well.

Correct,  XGs can set up as many Task Forces as necessary to
accomplish their deliverables (per charter).  As mentioned above, Task
Forces are not independent of the XG, i.e. they don't publish, only
the XG can publish their results *if decided to do so by the XG*, not
the Task Force.  The process to create these Task Forces should be
documented and their scope must be within the scope of the XG
charter.  Finally, although there is an extra cost in resources to
coordinate it (back office), we could certainly set up more than 1
mailing list for the XG if considered useful for your work.

> So much for the lawyers in and beneath us.

2 out of 2 -- congrats :)