Re: Use Cases to support work of Social WG

On 09/24/2014 03:35 PM, Crawford, Mark wrote:
> Hi Elf,
>
> I wrote:
>> As a first step, we need to
>> have a reasonable definition of what is meant by social data syntax.  I
>> would ask that elf provide his first cut on a definition as a straw man
>> to the list.
>
> Without getting into the details of the use cases and individual positions on their applicability (that will come later), we need to start with a common understanding of what we are gathering the use cases for. In reading through your response, I didn't see one provided.   If you don't feel comfortable doing this, then I am happy to go to Harry and ask for his input.
I'll give it another try. This time more to the point!

Social data syntax - way to *express* social *interaction*. With focus
on *possible actions* which later can get published as *past
activities*. Descriptions of such interactions usually include
* type/verb - what kind of interaction (eg. post, like, follow, ...)
* status - current state of given interaction (eg. potential, active,
completed, ...)
* agent/actor - who *actively* participated (eg. Alice, Sam's dog, trackbot)
* object - what agent/actor acted upon (eg. book, Bob, an apple)
* participant - who also stayed involved (eg. Jane, a mouse, ...)
* target/recipient - toward who/what agent/actor directed interaction
(eg. book shelf, uncle Bob, ...)
* result - what outcome it had (eg. a book, injury, ...)
* instrument - what object got used (eg. hammer, pen, piano, ...)
* location - where it happened (eg. Paris, Luisa's flat, Yellowstone
Park, ...)
* startTime/endTime - when it happened (eg. Sun, Sep 24th 3PM)

You can find side to side comparison of terms above, as currently
described in AS2.0 draft and Schema.org on Social WG wiki
https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/Vocabulary_Comparison#as:Activity_.7C.7C_schema:Action

To give a real world example, projects on github:
https://github.com/w3c-social/schema.org-examples

has potential actions: watch, star, fork
also for its owners: transfer, delete, make private/public
later: create issue, make pull request

performing those actions show up as activities on project and people
walls: https://github.com/elf-pavlik?tab=activity

I hope this comes more helpful then my last reply :)