Re: Use Cases to support work of Social WG

On 09/23/2014 07:57 PM, Crawford, Mark wrote:
> Hi,
Hi Mark,

> The Social WG has asked that we focus our work over the next several
> weeks to developing and delivering to them one or more use cases around
> social data syntax.  I think this is a great opportunity for us to show
> our value to the WG and also help alleviate an issue that would
> otherwise disrupt their progress.  I would suggest that Larry create a
> new social data syntax sub wiki page to the
Thank you for this announcement and I look forward to engage with others
in Use Case TF! Sub page focusing on Social Syntax sounds like a good start.

> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialig/Use_Case_TF wiki page where we can
> begin to capture input.  We will also need to decide how we want to
> structure the use cases (simple narrative, formal expression, template
> input), what additional information we want provided, and what if any
> level of prioritization we want to have.  As a first step, we need to
> have a reasonable definition of what is meant by social data syntax.  I
> would ask that elf provide his first cut on a definition as a straw man
> to the list. Once we have the forgoing, we can also reach out to all
> members of the WG as well as through our individual social media
> channels to gather input.

To my understanding of current situation in WG, we currently don't agree
on a single strategy for social syntax. I recommend starting with
relevant wiki pages:
* https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/Social_syntax_requirements
* https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/Social_syntax

As well as this email thread:
* http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-socialweb/2014Sep/0028.html

While many people including myself seem to support idea of leveraging
RDF data model, already published JSON-LD spec[1] and just recommend
appropriate vocabulary(ies). Couple of people currently object taking
such approach.

What I think we agree on - we need to represent *past activities* and
*potential actions* (affordances). Good places to start looking at:

* https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg#Activity_Streams
* http://schema.org/docs/actions.html
* http://schema.org/Action

Please let us know if we can clarify further anything till this point. I
also believe other WG members will also reply with helpful feedback!

Myself I started github repository to collect examples following
schema.org design of Actions (which already leverages JSON-LD) and while
doing it collect feedback to Web Schemas group on what we find missing
there.

* https://github.com/w3c-social/schema.org-examples
* https://github.com/w3c-social/schema.org-examples/issues/1 (please
note links to JSON-LD Playground)

BTW If someone likes workflow currently made possible by github
platform, I created dedicated organization there *w3c-social* I will
happily add all interested members of Social IG to its owners!
* https://github.com/w3c-social

Cheers!

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld/