Re: possible SML use cases

For the first case, assume the following scenario:
1. The consumer makes a request to a data access service.  The
consumer supplies the variables/properties/... for which values are
needed and the vocabularies/semantic models ... that define them.
2. The data access service looks at the request and calls a service
to look for equivalent requests in other vocabularies and sends the
data source and vocabulary information back to the data access
service.  The information could include pointers to processing
instructions, say units conversions, that may be needed to generate
appropriate values from the equivalent requests.
3. The data access service determines which sources to use and
retrieves raw values from those data sources.
4. The data access service calls other services as needed to invoke
processing instructions from step 2.
5. Other processing may be done to assemble a consistent response
payload.
6. The response is sent back to the consumer.

In steps 2-5, the data access service (the one the consumer directly
invoked) looks for appropriate sources and identifies appropriate
processing to be performed.  But in step 2 there may be different
sources available (or unavailable) or different options for
equivalent requests when the same consumer request is made next
week.  The processing in steps 4 and 5 may have changed.  While the
response may still be valid, a change in the sources or component
services may result in a response different from if the request was
satisfied in an identical fashion each time.

Now sometimes having the new sources or services is exactly what is
needed.  But if the response changes, the consumer needs to be able
to evaluate why it changed.

Hope this clarifies my thoughts.

Ken

Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379
McLean VA 22102-7508